WDC thanks all our teachers for the fantastic work you do with our students every day. Your work is appreciated! Our kids are lucky to have the teachers they have. Thank you for everything you do!
Summer Rec Online Registration is located in the left-hand column.
Registration is from April 27 to May 20!
WDC 8th-graders need your help for Ely Trip
Wadena-Deer Creek 8th-graders are gearing up for their Outdoor Adventure Trip to Ely, May 9-11, and they are excited! On this trip, students will learn about Minnesota history and ecology while enjoying the great outdoors. WDC Science Teacher Dawn Paurus is coordinating the trip.
Students are asking for donations to help with equipment needs and expenses. Please consider donating the following items:
- sleeping bags
- tents in good condition or
If you have any of these items to donate, please drop off at the middle/high school. Thank you!
2016 Summer Rec Guide is here!
Click here to download PDF version. Registration begins April 27 to May 20.
Click here for Summer Rec Activities
Click here for Summer Rec Camps
Click here for Summer Rec T-Ball, Baseball & Softball
Click here for Community Youth Camps
Click here for Maslowski Summer Swimming Lessons
WDC Child Care for Summer Months
Little Kids Club (PreK) and Kids Krew (K-6) begins June 1 and hours are from 6am to 6pm for youths needing child care. Kids Krew offers oodles of fun activities such as field trips, swimming, crafts, transportation to Summer Rec activities, and more! For more information, contact Director Jennifer Ness, at (218) 639-7105.
Summer Meal Program
Every child 18 and under can receive a FREE breakfast and lunch this summer. Your child may drop in any day without signing up. Please take advantage of this great program, five days a week. It’s also a great place for kids to meet up with friends this summer! Program coordinated by WDC Food Services.
Friendly Rider Bus Service available for Summer Rec
Parents, let the Friendly Rider get your kids to and from activities this summer! Pickups and drop-offs at home, daycare, grandparents, etc. No need to leave work. Transportation available, Monday-Friday, 6am to 6pm. Call to schedule rides at (218) 631-5730.
If you're at the baseball/softball double header this Friday, April 29 at WDC, please be sure to stop by the WDCB LEO Club concession stand! Currently, they are working to raise $$ for Kamp KACE (Kids Against Cancer Everywhere). This is a week-long camp in June for kids with cancer. What a great opportunity to help the community. Thank you for your support!
Wadena-Deer Creek ECFE's finale is April 28!
Wadena-Deer Creek ECFE is hosting a "Dinner and Magic Show" on Thursday, April 28. Dinner begins at 5:30pm in the Wadena-Deer Creek Elementary cafeteria with the Magic Show featuring Robert the Magician starting at 6:15pm in Wadena Memorial Auditorium.
All families with children up to 5 years of age are welcome. Feel free to bring along older siblings that are part of your family, too. Donations will be accepted to help cover the cost.
For more information, contact ECFE Coordinator Leanne Ries (pronounced Reese) at 632-2364.
Preparing your students for standardized testing in April and May
This spring, WDC will again be looking to see where our students are when it comes to the state standards set by the Minnesota Department of Education.
The Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments will begin at Wadena-Deer Creek Schools in April. It is important for each student to do his/her best so we know how best to help students improve in the future.
Parents can find resources on the website https://mn.pearsonperspective.com and clicking enter family site. The students will be testing on the following dates:
- 3rd grade: April 26-28 –Math
- 5th grade: May 3-4 –Science
- 6th grade: April 25, 27 –Math
- 7th grade: April 28 –Math
- 8th grade: May 5 –Science
- 10th grade: May 10-11 - Science
- 11th Grade: April 26 – Math
Extended days on Wednesdays
WDC Middle/High School will be extending their day on Wednesdays in order to allow for advisory time for students. This change will slightly impact busing, as the elementary students will be picked up first at their normal time of dismissal at 3:10 p.m. with buses leaving the elementary by 3:20 p.m. Grades 5-12 students will then be picked up at 3:25 pm. This will lead to bus drop-offs being 15 minutes later than normal on Wednesdays.
WDC Middle/High School daily class schedule will remain the same except for an advisory time being added from 2:08 to 2:30 pm. Seventh hour will then run from 2:33 to 3:25 pm.
This change in schedule will impact the following dates: May 4, May 11, and May 18. All other school days will remain on the regular schedule (8:11a.m. to 3 p.m.).
If you have any questions or concerns about the new Wednesday schedule, please contact Mr. Church at (218) 632-2172.
WDC School Board approves 2016-17 calendar
The WDC School Board approved the 2016-17 school year calendar at their March 21st meeting. If you are planning for next year, download a copy by clicking on link below!
Sign up for Summer Drivers' Education classes
If you are 15 years old by Dec. 31, 2016, you are eligible to enroll in Wadena-Deer Creek's summer drivers' education program. Click here for Registration Form.
Deadline to enroll is May 12. Classroom instruction begins June 1 to 15, with morning and afternoon sessions to choose from.
Questions, contact Mr. Ortmann at 632-2384 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 28 - Gr. 1-2 Spring Music Program, 1:30pm for 1st grade, 2:15pm for 2nd grade, Auditorium
- April 28 - ECFE Finale, Magic Show, 5:30pm, WDC Elementary
- April 29 - 2-Hour Late Start
- April 29 - Guest musicians Rolf and Carrie, Oboe/Bass Violin Workshops, grades K-4
- April 29 - WDC's Pop Tab Collection Day. Last day to bring in your pop tabs to benefit Ronald McDonald House!
- May 2 - WDC Retiree Open House, 3:15-4:30pm, Commons
- May 2 - Sam Kelderman Memorial Track Meet, 4pm
- May 2 - Wadena Rotary Fine Arts Banquet, 5:15pm, Commons
- May 2 - School Board Meeting, 6pm, Robertson Theatre
- May 4 - NHS Day of Caring (rescheduled from April 27)
- May 6 - Kindergarten's Muffins for Moms, 8:15am
- May 9 - Senior Class Trip
- May 9-13 - Buy-One-Get-One-Free Book Fair, Elementary Media Center
- May 11 - Senior Awards Recognition Program, 7pm, Robertson Theatre
- May 12 - Gr. 3-4 Spring Music Program
- May 16 - School Board Meeting, 6pm, Robertson Theatre
- May 16 - Gr. 5-8 Band Concert, 7:30pm, HS Gym
- May 18 - Gr. 9-12 Awards Breakfast
- May 18 - Baccalaureate, 7pm, Robertson Theatre
- May 19 - Gr. 5-6 Music/7-8 Choir Concert, 2pm, HS Gym
- May 19 - Gr. 9-12 Band/Pops Concert, 8pm, HS Gym
- May 20 - HS Graduation, 7pm, HS Gym. CONGRATULATIONS, CLASS OF 2016!
- May 25 - Gr. 5-8 Awards Program, 10am, HS Gym
- May 26 - Kindergarten Graduation, 1:30pm, Auditorium. CONGRATS, CLASS OF 2028!
- May 27 - Last Half Day of School, dismiss 1pm @MS/HS /1:10pm @Elem.
- May 27 - K-4 Awards Program, 9am, Auditorium
- May 27 - End of 4th Quarter
- May 27 - End of 3rd Trimester @ Elem
- May 31 - Teacher Work Day
- June 1 - Summer Rec Begins!
- June 10 - Wolverine Golf Scramble, noon start, Whitetail Run Golf Course
- June 13-15 - Jon Koenigs Tennis Camp, open to girls/boys in Gr. 3-6. Download Registration Form.
- June 16-18 - June Jubilee
- June 22-26 - Wadena County Fair
- June 30 - Summer Rec Fun Day, West Playground, WDC Elementary
- June 11-16 - Prairie Fire Theatre presents "Pinocchio"
- June 25-Aug. 5 - Madhatters Summer Drama Camp
Indoor Track Hours: 6am to 7:30am and 3:15pm to 6pm, Monday-Friday. In the event of a sports activity, the track will close by 5pm.
PARENTS: If your student qualifies for free/reduced lunch they can receive a 3-month scholarship membership at the Maslowski Wellness & Research Center. Scholarships will be distributed on a first-come/first-serve basis and must include proper documentation. For more information, contact Sandie Rentz 218-632-2396.
WDC Late Bus runs Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Elementary pickup is at 5:10pm at the Cafeteria Doors on Dayton Avenue. Middle/High School pickup is at 5:15pm at the bus loading/unloading area behind the school.
WDC Elementary designated a 2014 Reward School!