Understanding and protecting our children from the Internet
School-aged children and parents are invited to attend a free, community event to educate and protect children from Internet crimes and exploitation on Monday, Dec. 12 from 6 to 7:30pm at Wadena-Deer Creek Elementary School.
This event will provide age-appropriate resources for children, but also provide parent/caregiver education with a panel of local experts on the topic.
Free to attend, no pre-registration needed, childcare offered for children under 5, and refreshments will be served.
Sponsored by Wadena County Child Protection Team and Wadena-Deer Creek Public Schools.
Wheeler and Dykhoff make All-Section Football Team!
Way to go, Tyler Wheeler and Jake Dykhoff, on being selected to the All-Section 6AA Football Team recently! Tyler was a senior OL/LB and Jake was a junior QB/S for the Wolverines this fall.
Jake was also selected to the 2016 Brainerd Dispatch All-Area Team. The All-Midwest District Quarterback of the Year threw for 1,297 yards and 14 touchdowns on 105-of-239 passing (43.9 completion percentage). He rushed for 363 yards and 4 touchdowns on 102 carries (3.6 yards per carry).
Great job, guys! We are Wolverine Proud!
WDC School District will make up Friday, Nov. 18's snow day on Monday, February 20 and Tuesday, Nov. 22 on Friday, March 3.
Students of the Month
The Wadena-Deer Creek "Student of the Month" program acknowledges and recognizes the many outstanding students at the middle/high school. Each month, teachers nominate students based on any of the following attributes: character, behavior, work ethic and academics.
Pictured, front row, from left: Christina Sundheim, 9th grade; Jackson Becker, 11th; Stephen Ayers, 10th; Max Junker, 11th; Michael Schmidt, 9th; Amanda Orsello, 12th; Kloe Pettit-Sperling, 12th; Jennifer Baxter-Umland, 10th; and Madison Packer, 7th; middle row, from left: Hunter Eichberg, 6th; Bjorn Brunsberg, 6th; Hailey Kircher, 6th; Reagan Goldie, 6th; Peyton Church, 5th; Brenna Leeseberg, 5th; Katie Fiemeyer, 5th; Emma Ries, 7th; Jamie Barthel, 7th; and Paige Barthel, 9th. Back row, Katelyn Gardner, 8th; and Chase Godel, 11th. Not pictured: Sara Goetze, 8th; and Myah Nelson, 6th.
Well done, Wolverines!
ECFE Family Fun Night: 'Colors of the Season'
Families with young children are invited to experience “Holiday Fun: Colors of the Season,” Thursday, Dec. 8 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Wadena-Deer Creek Elementary School.
The evening festivities will include projects, treats, and a scheduled visit from Santa Claus – weather permitting. Santa will be arriving from the North Pole if weather conditions are good.
All families with children up to 5 years of age are welcome; feel free to bring along older siblings, too. No registration is necessary; however, there will be a freewill offering to help cover supply expenses for the evening.
The event will be held in the Preschool, Head Start and ECFE classrooms. Please enter the school through Door 8 on Dayton Avenue (the one-way). “Holiday Fun” is sponsored by Wadena-Deer Creek Early Childhood Family Education, WDC Preschool, and West Central MN Community Action Head Start and Early Head Start.
For information, contact Leanne Ries, ECFE Coordinator, at 632-2364.
- Sun., Dec. 4: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Mon., Dec. 5: Grades 6-8 Band/Gr 5-8 Choir Concert, 1:30pm, HS Gym.
- Mon., Dec. 5: Grades 9-12 Band/Jazz Band/Choir Concert, 7:30pm, HS Gym.
- Wed., Dec. 7: Pearl Harbor Day
- Thu., Dec. 8: ECFE Holiday Fun, 6-7:30pm, WDC Elementary. FMI: Leanne, 632-2364.
- Sat., Dec. 10: ACT Test
- Sun., Dec. 11: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Thu., Dec. 15: Last day of Preschool before Winter Break.
- Sun., Dec. 18: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Mon., Dec. 19: School Board Meeting/Truth In Taxation Hearing, 6pm, Robertson Theatre, WDC Middle/High School.
- Wed., Dec. 21: First day of winter!
- Dec. 24-Jan. 2: NO SCHOOL. Winter Break.
- Tue., Jan. 3: PreK-12 classes resume from Winter Break!
- Sun., Jan. 8: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Mon., Jan. 9: Robotics season begins.
- Sun., Jan. 15: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Mon., Jan. 16: NO SCHOOL, Staff Development Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- Tue., Jan. 17: School Board Meeting, 6pm, Robertson Theatre, WDC Middle/High School.
- Thu., Jan. 19: One-Act Play performance, 7:30pm, Wadena Memorial Auditorium.
- Fri., Jan. 20: End of 2nd Quarter at Middle/High School.
- Sat., Jan. 21: One-Act Play Subsections @ Wadena Memorial Auditorium.
- Sun., Jan. 22: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
- Mon., Jan. 23: Grades 5-6 Science Expo information distributed to students. Start planning!
- Thu., Jan. 26: K-4 Winter Music Program, 1:30pm, WDC Elementary School.
- Thu., Jan. 26: One-Act Play performance, 7:30pm, Wadena Memorial Auditorium.
- Sun., Jan. 29: Open Gym, 1-3pm, WDC Middle/High School. Sponsored by WDC Community Education. Sponsored by WDC Community Education.
Sunday Open Gym. Sponsored by WDC Community Education at WDC Middle/High School: Dec. 4, 11 and 18. NO SUNDAY OPEN GYM, Dec. 25 or Jan. 1. Happy Holidays!
Understanding and Protecting Our Children from Internet Crimes and Exploitation, Dec. 12, 6-7:30pm, WDC Elementary. Parents, school-age children and interested community members encouraged to attend this FREE educational workshop. Click here for Flyer.
The K-4 Winter Music Program will be held on Thursday, January 26 at 1:30 p.m. in the big gym and the public is invited to attend. Program directed by Mary Ellenson.
Don't let the memories fade away, buy a yearbook!
Grades 9-12 yearbook - $40
Grades 5-8 yearbook - $11
If you have taken any photos at school, sporting events, homecoming, etc., and would like to share them with the yearbook, please email them to Beth Hawkins, advisor, or go to Twitter feed, #wdccover.
Questions, contact Ms. Hawkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 632-2335.
WDC Indoor Track hours for school year: M-F: 6am-7:30am and 3:30pm-8pm. There may be times, the track may be closed due to practice, game, concert or event.
WDC Elementary designated a 2014 Reward School!