Modern Woodsmen Insurance donates $2,500 to WDC
Modern Woodsmen Insurance recently donated $2,500 to Wadena-Deer Creek Schools to help fund the school's Top 20 Training program. Top 20 Training focuses on teaching students coping skills for improving mental health.
With its home office in Rock Island, Ill., Modern Woodsmen Insurance matched the $2,500 from this year's Never.Give.Up. 5K Run/Walk fundraiser held in August. Never.Give.Up. is a suicide prevention and awareness group established by area families affected by suicide who saw the need for more suicide-prevention education in schools.
Never.Give.Up. is donating all proceeds from their fundraising efforts to different schools each year. This year’s recipient, Wadena-Deer Creek Schools, received 90 percent of the proceeds, while the remaining 10 percent will go New York Mills Schools.
WDC High School Counselor Toni Kraska said WDC is very appreciative of the funding from Never.Give.Up. and Modern Woodmen Insurance, and is excited to roll out the Top 20 Training this year. Staff received their first training on Nov. 2, and parents are invited and encouraged to attend a presentation by Top 20 trainers on Dec. 2 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Wadena Memorial Auditorium. Prior to the presentation, there's a free meal from 5 to 6 p.m. in the WDC Elementary cafeteria, as well as free child care. Students will start the process during school on Dec. 2.
"We are very excited to begin the Top 20 Training program. Top 20 Training empowers youth to make a positive difference in the quality of their lives, relationships and experiences. It's a program WDC believes will help provide a positive atmosphere for students in and out of school."