WDC welcomes foreign exchange students
Wadena-Deer Creek High School welcomes nine foreign-exchange students for the 2014-15 school year.
The foreign-exchange students are staying with families in the school district. Each student is sponsored through an international organization, such as Nacel Open Door, International Student Exchange (ISE), and Aspect Foundation Student Exchange. They include:
• Jose Sandoval (Mexico) – Joey and Tina Wood family
• Mika Petersenn (Germany) – Ron and Grace Schertler family
• Diego Anzures (Mexico) – Crystal Riddle family
• Laura Stangenberg (Germany) – Crystal Riddle family
• Neil Bachmann (Germany) – Amos and Melodee Self family
• Gabriela Noronha (Brazil) – Keith and Tammy Waln / Trent and Holly Becker family
• Kota Nishida (Japan) – Kimberly Roggenkamp family
• Joaquin Gutierrez Vargas (Bolivia) – Heather Bullock family
• Seons Yoon “Luke” Kim (South Korea) – Mark and Yoaka Koone family
At a Welcome-to-WDC luncheon, WDC students and foreign exchange students munched on American favorites, pizza and pop, and shared similarities and differences of schools. WDC High School Counselor Toni Kraska, WDC Activities Director Norm Gallant and WDC Middle/High School Principal Tyler Church were also on hand for the luncheon.
Despite the little surprises that come along with experiencing a different culture, the foreign-exchange students eagerly anticipate the upcoming school year, when they will have the opportunity to meet new people, polish their English fluency and learn about the United States, Minnesota and WDC as they share the culture of their hometowns with that of their exchange community.
According to Kraska, hosting a foreign exchange program at WDC helps to increase the foreign exchange student’s understanding of our culture, as well as improving their language skills.
“WDC students also benefit from learning about diversity, as well as getting to know international students and their cultures. It broadens their social horizons,” said Kraska.